Glossary of Terms
- Admin Center
- Online administrative console for LaunchKey. This supersedes its predecessor, Dashboard: https://admin.launchkey.com.
- Admin Center
- The new online management center for creating and managing Service, Directory, and Organization data,
setting security policies, and more (https://admin.launchkey.com).
- Advanced Encryption Standard. See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard
- Auth Modal
- The modal that is hidden within your Mobile Authenticator and slides into view as necessary; this is
the default interface your users will interact with in your Mobile Authenticator, and it can be
customized and branded as you see fit.
- Authenticator SDK
- The mobile SDK that lives within your authenticator app and through which a
directory user is authenticated and authorized;
available for iOS and Android mobile devices.
- Authorization List
- List of authorized sessions or transactions for a particular user. Items can be cleared from the list
individually or as a group via clear all.
- Authorization Request
- The authentication or authorization request that is sent to your Mobile App from your Service.
- A group of binary -te-text encoding schemes. See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64
- Cipher Block Chaining, a block cipher mode of operation implementation. See:
- The online management center for creating and managing Service and Organization data,
setting security policies, viewing analytics, and more (https://dashboard.launchkey.com).
- A mobile phone, tablet, or other unit that has a Launchkey Authenticator installed and has at least begun the the process of linking with
- A group, managed through the dashboard, that contains one or more service and that can only authenticate a directory user via one specific
- Directory Service
- A Service that belongs to a Directory.
- Directory User
- Generally describes a subscriber's end-user. This is a user that has linked their device and has been registered
within your directory via an app that contains the LaunchKey Authenticator SDK.
- Directory User ID
- A unique and permanent identifier for a directory User in the implementing service. For
security purposes, you may want to use an identifier that cannot be easily linked to a user such as
a hash of the username or a GUID. This value will be the link between the implementing system and the
- An individual who has linked a device and registered a username through platform.
- Globally unique identifier. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_unique_identifier
- Help Center
- The iovation Subscriber help platform: https://help.iovation.com
- Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol
- Fixed-size input to a cryptographic primitive. See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Initialization_vector
- JSON Web Algorithm
- Standard for identifying algorithms for encryption and digital signatures. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7518
- JSON Web Encryption
- Standard for encrypting data. See https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7516
- JSON Web Token
- Standard for passing authorization claims between services. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON_Web_Token
- LaunchKey Authenticator
- A version of LaunchKey that enables you to embed LaunchKey authentication functionality in your native app.
- Create a link between platform user or directory user and a specific mobile device or
- Mobile Authenticator
- A mobile app that can respond to an Authorization Request. This can either be the
LaunchKey branded app or a Subscriber Authenticator app.
- Open Authentication Protocol. See http://oauth.net/
- Organizations are used in LaunchKey to provide more advanced management of a service and offer
- Organization Admin
- A platform user who has been invited and consequently accepted an administrator role for
- Organization Key
- Unique identifier of a service used to communicate with the Launchkey Platform API.
- Organization Service
- A service that belongs to an organization either from being created in the organization or
being imported from a subscriber service.
- The collection of back-end systems providing LaunchKey authentication via various
protocols and APIs.
- Platform API
LaunchKey Platform API
- The publicly accessible LaunchKey API that provides communication with the LaunchKey Platform.
- Platform SDK
LaunchKey Platform SDK
- The LaunchKey SDK that allows your integrated service to send an
Auth Request and receive a response from the request Platform User.
See documentation for more information.
- Representation State Transfer. https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer
- using REST methodologies.
- A public key cryptography system. See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_%28cryptosystem%29
- RSA Public/Private Key Pair
- See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA__%28cryptosystem%29#Key_generation
- Secret Key
- The Secret Key value for a service generated in the Keys tab of the Service Details
tab in the Dashboard.
- Your website, mobile app, identity service provider, or other facility that is being secured and/or sending authorization requests.
- Service Key
- Unique identifier of a service used to communicate with the LaunchKey Platform API.
- Service Profile
- The component of the LaunchKey platform that allows you to manage the way your service,
Mobile Authenticator, and its platform user base interact with the LaunchKey Platform API; managed
by admins and developers through the Dashboard.
- Service Profile
- As referred to inside Dashboard, this represents a single integration between the LaunchKey Service and the software application integrating with it.
- Service User
- This is a user which belongs to your Service and is registered within your user database.
- Sessions are based on a Directory User and Service. Sessions may be visible in an Authenticator
associated with the Directory until such time that either the service informs the platform that
the Session has ended, the Directory ends the Session, or the User ends the session via an
- A hash value created using the private key of an RSA public/private key pair that can be verified
by the public key of that pair. See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_%28cryptosystem%29#Signing_messages
- A registered account with iovation
- Subscriber Service
- An service that is neither connected with an organization nor a directory is
considered a subscriber service.
- Remove the link between a platform user or directory user and a specific mobile device or
- User Push ID
- A GUID that uniquely and permanently identifies the platform user associated with the
service. This ID allows you to store an obfuscated identifier for the platform user
that may only be used to authorize an Authorization Request for a single service. This
provides additional levels of security in that the platform user username cannot be obtained
from your system and the identifier cannot be used to track a user from one service to another.
- Coordinated Universal Time. See https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
LaunchKey links to user contributed code as a resource to its community. LaunchKey does not in any way
guarantee or warrant the quality and security of these code bases. User contributed code is supported by the
creators. If you do find a link from the site to user contributed code that is malicious or inappropriate in any
way, please report that link to LaunchKey immediately and we will investigate the claim. Submit any issue to
LaunchKey support at https://launchkey.com./support.